Welcome to Class 4
Teacher: Mrs Hughes
Teaching Assistant: Miss Mason
PE is currently on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Please ensure your child comes to school on each of these days dressed in their PE kit. As we will be doing PE outside, tracksuit bottoms and trainers are recommended, especially for the cold weather months. Please ensure earrings are removed/ taped before school on these days.
Please ensure your child has a name labelled water bottle in school every day for break and lunch times. An additional drink such as squash can be brought in for lunchtime only in their lunchbox.
Your child is welcome to bring their own fruit or vegetable snack, such as carrots or grapes, for morning break.
This half term we will be learning about:
- English - We will be reading and basing much of our writing around the book "Varjak Paw" followed by "One Plastic Bag". Writing genres will include the poetry form of Haiku, making a balanced argument, and persuasive letter and writing a newspaper report.
Most children will be learning their Year 3/4 statutory spellings, including homophones, with some revision of KS1 spellings, when needed. We will follow the year 4 "No-nonsense Spellings" programme to help children learn and understand these words.
- Maths - White Rose Maths scheme: Place value, focusing on numbers up to 10,000, comparing, rounding and ordering them. Addition and Subtraction. Measurement with a focus on length and multiplication and division.
Times Tables - Year four will need to practise times tables to 12, in preparation for the Multiplications Tables Check (MTC). We expect the test to be in the spring term. The children will need to learn their tables by heart and answer quickly. TT Rock Stars will be set as part of the year 4 homework, to help practise these and to chart progress.
- Science - Living things and their habitats, Animals, including humans focusing on diet and grouping. Electrical circuits, States of matter, Sound and how it travels.
- RSE/ PSHE - Health and Wellbeing/ Relationships. RSE TenTen Module 1 Loved by God and Our Bodies
- History - Iron Age: changes in Britain from the Stone Age to the Iron Age
- Geography - Megacities: the world's countries and the key physical, human and environmental characteristics of Europe and North and South America.
- Computing - Technology around us and recapping Purple Mash. Units: 4.2- Online Safety, 4.4 Writing for different audiences with a focus on keyboard skills, including typing.
- Music - Charanga scheme: Listening and appraising, saying and studying lyrics, using glockenspiels.
- PE - Dance- Ying and Yang and the Haka- Fundamental skills (running - endurance, throwing and catching) and invasion games.
- RE - The Way, the Truth and the Life 2.1: The Chosen People, focusing on The Bible including the Old and New Testaments, Trust in God and Advent.
- Art - Formal elements of Art, including ways to use a sketchbook, investigating and creating texture and pattern.