Our reading stars this week are:
Archie, Carson, Jimmy-James, Luciano,
Natalia, Noah, Sophia, Tarquin, Theo
Our reading stars are children who have read 3 times or more at home this week.
Reading is a fundamentally important skill for all children to learn and master. Children who read regularly at home will go on to be much more competent readers, therefore, your role is of vital importance. Please encourage your child to read as often as possible and read to them for enjoyment as often as you can. Practice makes perfect!
Please find below some useful questions you could use whilst reading with your child.
Before reading the book:
- Can you point to the title? or What is this? (pointing to the title)
- What do you think this story will be about? What might happen in the story?
- What do we call the writing on the back of the book? (Blurb) or What does the blurb tell us?
- Who is the author and illustrator?
During the reading of the book:
- What is happening in the pictures?
- What is happening so far? Is it what you expected to happen?
- What might happen next? How do you think the story might end?
- What sort of character is…? Is he/she friendly/mean/nice…?
At the end of the book:
- Did you like this book? Why? (Encourage your child to develop their opinion about books by encouraging them to explain their reasons)
- What was your favourite part? Why?
- What was the most interesting/ exciting part of the book? Can you find it?
- What sort of character was…?
- Why did that character do….(give a situation/ event from the story)?
- What happened in the story?